Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What I’m Hearing…Plastic Surgery to Get the Job

Last night I watched CSI: Miami. During the show, a tease came on for the 11 PM news. One of their lead stories was people getting plastic surgery or other cosmetic procedures to make themselves more viable in this new job market. Of course I had to stay up for this story – I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!

According to the piece, people who go this route most often opt for Botox or other filler type procedures, followed by surgery. The two women profiled in the story said that using Botox would make them a more viable candidate in the job market because they appear younger.

This got me thinking. It’s undeniable that there is a quiet appearance bias in America. However, I find it hard to believe that a small wrinkle near the corner of someone’s mouth would prevent him or her from getting a job. What happened to the strength of one’s résumé and experience? Given the choice between a great looking candidate and one who has the knowledge and experiences I need for the position, I’m opting for the latter.

After all, laugh lines often come along with wisdom and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter