Monday, July 13, 2009

What I'm Hearing...HR from the Pulpit

Let's start off this Monday with a little humor!

Most Saturday afternoons you can find me at the 4:30 PM mass at St. Cecilia's Church in Rockaway, NJ. The pastor, Monsignor John Hart, always ends mass with a joke. This week's was perfect for HR! No matter your religious beliefs, you should find a chuckle here:

Three men were fishing and complaining about getting old and the various aches and pains that come along with aging. Suddenly, St. Michael appears on their boat and asks the first man what his trouble is. "My back is killing me," he says. St. Michael touches him and the man's back is pain free! The second man says "My eyes are terrible. I can't see very well at all." St. Michael touches the second man and his vision is perfect. St. Michael turns to the third man, who says in a frightened voice, "Don't touch me - I'm on disability!"

How many employees in your organization are following the approach of the third man, rather than seeking a quick recovery and return to work? When was the last time you reached out to individuals on both short and long term disability to see how they're doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter